Facebook and Privacy

I am reading a course textbook required towards my International Marketing Management degree. The book is titled "E-Commerce - Business. Technology. Society." by Laudon/Traver - 7th edition. The first chapter really opened up my eyes to all the privacy issues which exist out on the web! Particularly Facebook!



Did you know that Facebook sends your privacy info to 3rd party websites such as Pandora?! Without even asking your permission!



I also found it interesting that there have been several privacy policies which Facebook has changed due to protest from both users and other organizations...When was this on the news? The only news I have heard the past few years were all of the complaints over template changes...well my friends I highly recommend you wake up and recognize that Facebook is quickly becoming the new market research platform- and you are freely handing out your personal info - probably without even knowing it!



I don't find it a surprise that individuals such as senator Shumer are reaching out to have social networking sites such as Facebook investigated, and quite frankly good for Shumer! Personally, I was a bit outraged that I had no idea of all of these Facebook privacy issues, and now that I am aware I feel quite violated!



When I signed up for Facebook it was for the purpose of connecting with family and friends in Europe and for experiencing a different form of socializing...I am curious to know at what point did my individual rights and quite frankly security- become the property of Facebook?! Does anyone else see a problem with this?



At this point, I am quite concerned over my privacy rights.
Facebook! Stop selling access to my personal information!

1 comment:

  1. Apparently when you login a seed is implanted allowing fb to track all sites visited for approx 90days. Not sure whats worse, i've read up on a few app/proggies that can enable cam/webcam without triggering the notification that light. Say "cheese!!!" your on camera

    ReplyDelete